** Please see below for an important announcement regarding Christmas Eve Services.
First United Church
January 10, 2021
Call to Worship: (adapted from Psalm 29)
L: Give to the Lord the glory due his name!
P: The Lord’s voice is over the waters; our glorious God thunders over the mighty waters.
L: The Lord’s voice is strong; the Lord’s voice is majestic.
P: The Lord sits enthroned over the floodwaters.
L: Let the Lord give strength to his people!
P: Let the Lord bless us with peace!
Hymn: Eternal Father, Strong to Save VU 659
Prayer of Thanksgiving for God’s Presence
Readings: Genesis 1: 1 – 5
Message: In the (real) beginning
Hymn: Arise Your Light Is Come VU 79
Offertory Prayer/Pastoral Prayer/Lord’s Prayer
Hymn: Let All Things Now Living VU 242
**Similar to Genesis in the Hebrew scriptures, people often believe that the Gospels were written first because they are first in order of inclusion. In fact, Paul’s letters are earlier. While the dating is sometimes hard to pin down most scholars believe that Galatians or First Thessalonians are the oldest, dating from c. 48-50 – and that all of Paul’s indisputable letters were written by about 60, several years before the earliest gospel, which is Mark. While Matthew is first in order of appearance, it actually dates from about the year 80.
Local fund: In loving memory of Irene Simms by husband Harvey
Local fund: In loving memory of Irene Simms by daughter Christine and family
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Charles Cameron & Lorraine Dicks
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Lloyd & Roma Hampton
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Sigrid & Bill Fitzpatrick
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Joan Rowe
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Bruce Penney
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Donna Harnum
Local fund: In loving memory of dear friend Mary Follett by Mildred & Trevor Bennett
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Geoff & Denise Tulk
M&S fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Paul & Maureen Wells
Local fund: In loving memory of Mary Follett by Kitty & Edgar Stratton
Local fund: In loving memory of Ron Bennett by Aunt June & Uncle John Partner
Local fund: In loving memory of Uncle Ron Bennett by Karl Bennett & Cindy
Local fund: In loving memory of Ron Bennett by Shirley & Sid Butt
Church Calendars: Calendars are available at the office. $6 each.
Update August 24th 2020
New mask regulations:
Physical distancing protocols are still in place as with the earlier directives, with the following updates from Public Health:
1. Everyone (unless exempt) must wear a mask to worship (including clergy and leaders).
2. Once seated, you may remove your mask.
3. Once your mask is removed, please remain in the same location in the church.
4. If you need to move (go to washroom etc.) please put your masks back on.
5. Once the service is over, put your mask back on to exit the service.
Reopening Sunday Worship
First and Foremost: If you have any of the following symptoms: fever above 38 C, a new or worsening cough, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, muscle pain, diarrhea, or a loss of sense of taste or smell – please stay home and call your doctor, or # 811.
1) We are now allowed up to 100 people, but still have to be social distanced, please arrive by 10:40 am to allow us time to seat everyone.
2) Please consider bringing your own mask. Some masks will be available but bring your own if you’re able. You may remove your mask after you are seated, but need to put it back on any time you move from your seat.
3) The church building will open using only the main (West Street) doors. The other doors will still comply with fire code as emergency exits, but everyone is encouraged to use one door.)
4) Please maintain social distancing as you line up to enter. (6+ feet, or 2 metres)
5) Please do not gather downstairs prior to the service, or after the service.
6) Bulletins are on the table just inside the sanctuary.
7) On your way to a pew please try to touch as few surfaces as possible. This
includes doorposts, walls, pew backs, etc.
8) Please do not enter pews that are taped off. Open pews are clearly indicated, and are at least 6+ feet, or 2 metres apart.
9) Current regulations mean that congregational singing is not allowed. For now we’ll play a few verses and invite you to follow along in your head.
10) At the end of the service the minister will not go to the door to shake
hands. Please do not shake anyone else’s hand either.
11) Please leave your offering in the jar on the table in the foyer.
12) The washroom in the lounge is available. Downstairs washrooms are open in an emergency but we’re trying to limit folks from traversing the building.
Thank you for coming!
We hope you felt blessed by gathering together
Please remember that First United strives to be a scent free facility.
Church business (general inquiries, committee info,
bulletin announcements, etc.) should be directed to the Office Administrator.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
9 am – 12 pm. Closed Mondays
We are able to receive bulletin announcements until noon on Thursdays.
Rev. van Vliet is usually in the church offices
Monday through Thursday afternoons.
He tries to take Fridays off.
If you have a pastoral need call 634-5301 or
feel free to email, or drop in to the office.