First United Church
***We will begin in-person services again . However, due to current Public Health regulations (Maximum of 50 people in the building) pre-registration for Sunday worship will be required until further notice.Please contact the office before noon on Friday if you wish to attend that week. Detailed guidelines are outlined at the bottom of this page.
Please click on the links below to download a PDF version of the the bulletin. The bulletin text for this week also appears as usual below.
Sunday May 2, 2021 --------->
Sunday April 25, 2021 -------->
Sunday April 18, 2021 --------->
Sunday, April 11, 2021 --------->
First United Church
May 2, 2021
Rev Graham Cook (ret’d)
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship:
We gather with joy, for Easter continues. Like spring flowers breaking through the earth, the power of resurrection breaks through in surprising ways. Like the vine that supports blossoms and fruit, God’s Word upholds the church in strength. Let us worship God who makes all things new.
Hymn: Come and find the Quiet Centre VU 374
Prayer of Approach:
Jesus Christ, our Risen Lord, you are the vine, and we are the branches. Your love is our strength. Your energy is our joy. Your attentiveness is our hope. Your power can transform even the most difficult situations. You nourish our faith and imaginations so that we can bear fruit in many ways. You promise we can dwell in you because you are dwelling in us. We gather today to offer you our praise. Be with us now in Spirit and in Truth. Amen
A Time with Children of All Ages:
Children’s Hymn The Spring Has Come VU 187
Offering & Offertory Prayer:
Generous God, we bless you for your gift of life renewed through Christ’s love, and through springtime growth in fields and gardens. Bless these gifts we offer you. May they bring hope and renewal to others as we serve in the name of your greatest gift, Jesus Christ our Risen Lord. Amen
Reading: Acts 8: 28 - 40
Message: “Getting In the God Stuff”
(based on Acts 8: 28 – 40 – Philip & The Ethiopian)
Hymn: Long before the Night VU 282
As we go forth, we have been deepened in the experience of God’s grace. May we now be aware of the tasks God has for us all. May our lives together be strengthened and may God’s peace be in our midst as we go forth to love and to serve. AMEN!
Today we welcome Rev Graham Cook to our church. We are thankful for his ministry with us today. Rev van Vliet was on leave last week and will be back this week.
Annual Meeting: Annual meeting is scheduled for next Sunday, May 9th immediately following the service. Copies of the Annual Report are available at the back of the church. The financial report has not been included but will be available for the meeting next week.
Mother’s Day Memorials: If you would like to place a Mother’s Day memorial in the bulletin, please submit them by 4 pm Thursday, May 6th.
Please note the updated regulations below for Alert Level 2 beginning on Saturday March 27th. Our church will open under the new guidelines on April 4th. Pre-registration will be required for each Sunday until further notice.
Update March 27th 2021 -
Our maximum capacity is currently 50. Pre-Registration for Sunday Services is required until further notice.
New mask regulations:
Physical distancing protocols are still in place as with the earlier directives, with the following updates from Public Health:
1. Everyone (unless exempt) must wear a mask to worship (including clergy and leaders).
2. Masks must remain in place at all times while you are in the building.
3. There will be no congregational singing, however you may hum along quietly with the music. The words to the hymns will be printed in your bulletins.
Reopening Sunday Worship
First and Foremost: If you have any of the following symptoms: fever above 38 C, a new or worsening cough, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, muscle pain, diarrhea, or a loss of sense of taste or smell – please stay home and call your doctor, or # 811.
1) We are now allowed up to 50 people, but still have to be social distanced, please register by NOON FRIDAY for Sunday's service. Please arrive by 10:40am on Sunday morning to allow us time to seat everyone.
2) Please bring your own mask. Some masks will be available but bring your own if you’re able. Masks are required (unless medically exempt) at all times while you are in the building.
3) The church building will open using only the main (West Street) doors. The other doors will still comply with fire code as emergency exits, but everyone is encouraged to use one door.)
4) Please maintain social distancing as you line up to enter. (6+ feet, or 2 metres)
5) Please do not gather downstairs prior to or after the service.
6) Bulletins are on the table just inside the sanctuary.
7) On your way to a pew please try to touch as few surfaces as possible. This
includes doorposts, walls, pew backs, etc.
8) Please do not enter pews that are taped off. Open pews are clearly indicated, and are at least 6+ feet, or 2 metres apart.
9) Current regulations mean that congregational singing is not allowed. For now we’ll play a few verses and invite you to hum along quietly or follow along in your head.
10) At the end of the service the minister will not go to the door to shake
hands. Please do not shake anyone else’s hand either.
11) Please leave your offering in the jar on the table in the foyer.
12) The washroom in the lounge is available. Downstairs washrooms are open in an emergency but we’re trying to limit folks from traversing the building.
Thank you for coming!
We hope you felt blessed by gathering together
Please remember that First United strives to be a scent free facility.
Church business (general inquiries, committee info,
bulletin announcements, etc.) should be directed to the Office Administrator.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 1:15 pm - 5:15 pm
Friday 9 am – 12 pm.
We are able to receive bulletin announcements until noon on Thursdays.
Rev. van Vliet is usually in the church offices
Monday through Thursday afternoons.
He tries to take Fridays off.
If you have a pastoral need call 634-5301 or
feel free to email, or drop in to the office.